Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Smoky Mountain Mallow (AKA That Smoky Scent!) Review

I just got home from work with a lovely Solstice Scents package waiting for me in the mailbox. It was a delightful way to end a long week (even though I cheated and knew it was coming via USPS tracking). And I am very happy to say that it is a wonderful smoky/fireside smell that is likely to make your heart sing if smoky smells are up your alley!

Upon cold sniff, I smelled the marshmallow/sweet note with a teeny bit of the smokey fireplace smell in the background. Then upon initial application, it completely transformed. The marshmallow smell went away entirely, and I smelled full blown smoke- like that amazing smoke smell you get from a campfire. I grew up camping a lot, so that smell brings back tons of great memories like having sticky s'mores and listening to my dad tell ghost stories. He had a famous story that my friends and I begged for every time- Miramar Mama. My dad is an amazing story teller, so he told this a lot better than I'm about to; but I'll give you the gist. He said he was about 17 and driving with his friends in California. They were in an old VW van, low on gas, and hopelessly lost in the middle of nowhere. A perfect start to any horror story, right? Anyway, they came across this creepy little shack in the middle of nowhere. I use the term shack because it was so small and disheveled, the word 'house' wouldn't be right. At this point, my dad and his buddies were creeped out, because here was this run down little shack that had glowing light inside and the door was wide open. They were certainly apprehensive, but they were also in a bad situation; so they made their way to the weird shack. The first thing they noticed was that upon walking in, the room they stepped foot in was a makeshift dining room. They knew this because there was a table with a bunch of plates on it. But the plates were not empty. There were old, rotten chicken bones on top of the plates; and the smell was putrid. The light they had seen from the road was actually a candle, as if someone was in the house. Of course, they were unsure by then whether or not they actually wanted the help of a solitary person that had rotten food right in the living room, but there was something in the corner that made them all freeze in their steps. In the corner of that dining room, there was a corpse of an old woman who looked like she had recently passed away. Her eyes were shut, but the most out of place thing about the woman was that she was pointing north. Her delicate, bony, probably rigor-mortice induced hand literally pointed north with a single yellow fingernail. My dad as his friend were immediately out the door, but something else strange happened that night. They followed the woman's "directions" by heading north- and they found their way back to a familiar road and were finally safe.

Of course, I know now that there was no old lady pointing in a shack. But there was a creepy shack in that situation when my dad was that age, but he said they just kept driving. I still wonder why the lights were on and who lived there. Creepy stuff!

So let's go back to perfume, cause that's why you guys are here! :) On the dry down, Smoky Mountain Mallow still smells like delightful campfire smoke, but with a *hint* of marshmallow to make it less harsh. It's absolutely beautiful, and it gets even better. After 10-20 minutes, it starts smelling like that amazing chimney-smoke smell you get when you're outside and someone is having a fire in their fireplace. I wish I could give you guys a sample whiff through the screen, it's just so freaking awesome. My favorite thing about it is how it transforms from cold sniff to dry down, and every single scent stage is absolutely beautiful.


Above- my photo of Smoky Mountain Mallow :)



Above: Smokey Mountain Mallow
Image Source: Solstice Scents



Now I'm off to get ready for a birthday party! At least I'll smell amazing for it :) 

Also, quick note of things to come: Lathers and Lights haul/first impression; Bath and Body Works SAS haul, and Cocoa Pink haul



Thanks so very much for reading, and have a very wonderful weekend!

DISCLAIMER- All items mentioned were purchased by me for my own personal usage. I am not
affiliated with or compensated by any of the companies mentioned. All opinions are always my own and always honest!

16 comments:

  1. OK, That Smoky Scent will definitely be on my sample list when i get around to ordering from Solstice Scents! It sounds delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! It is certainly worth a sample! From reading your blog, I think it's safe to assume you'd really enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh, that does sound amazing! I'm going to buy some of the Burnishing Glace Mists very soon and I'm debating whether to get a sample of this or whether to just go the whole hog and buy a bottle. I'm very new to SS - do you know if they keep well? I'd risk a bottle if I knew I could get a couple of years out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing! I am by no means a perfume expert, but I do know I've had Manor for over a year and it still smells amazing. The owner says it's a good idea to give her perfumes a gentle shake to redistribute the oils in the heavier scents, but from my experience, yes, they keep well. So I think you'd be fine if you got a bigger size. I hope you love it, no matter what size you got :)

      Delete
    2. BTW, I don't own any burnishing glaces yet, so I'm not sure about the shelf life on those. I can message her on FB and ask for you, if you'd like! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's okay - I have to ask her about a couple of other things so I am going to contact her anyway. I think I'll risk the full bottle. I doubt very much I will dislike it. :-)

      Delete
  3. First of all I am totally creeped out by that story! Geez, it sounds very real! Shudders!
    I am positive i'd love this scent. I will have to wait till the start of next month to get it. I'll go straight for a full size. This and Cenobite, both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eep, I'm sorry to creep you out! I had to write this in the daytime, because I totally freak myself out at night with scary stories or movies. I'm a whimp but also a sucker for horror stuff! <3

      That's awesome that you're going to get this scent! You'll have to let me know or write a post about it, I'm really interested about your perspective, dear! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this ghost story with us! I have to get a sample of this one fist. I like smoky scents but I am a bit afraid of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem dear, I was very happy to share! I love scary stuff :)

      I think getting a sample would be a good idea. I've jumped into full sizes in the past and have felt really foolish and wasteful when I didn't like them :(

      Delete
  5. I love smokey scents! I really don't like the smell of marshmallows but I have a feeling it just might work in this perfume, I should have got a sample last time I ordered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoky scents are seriously awesome! I don't really get a very stProng marshmallow from this perfume, more like a little bit of sweetness to even it out. It's really nice, and everyone that has reviewed it on the Solstice Scents forum had absolutely loved it. This is really a good one, and certainly sample-worthy!

      Delete
  6. Hi- I was looking up reviews on SMM and just read this and after your dad's story a chill literally spread through my entire body! But I loved it- reminds we of the movie Mama, which you must see if you haven't yet. Got my winter SS order today and love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi- I was looking up reviews on SMM and just read this and after your dad's story a chill literally spread through my entire body! But I loved it- reminds we of the movie Mama, which you must see if you haven't yet. Got my winter SS order today and love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi- I was looking up reviews on SMM and just read this and after your dad's story a chill literally spread through my entire body! But I loved it- reminds we of the movie Mama, which you must see if you haven't yet. Got my winter SS order today and love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi- I was looking up reviews on SMM and just read this and after your dad's story a chill literally spread through my entire body! But I loved it- reminds we of the movie Mama, which you must see if you haven't yet. Got my winter SS order today and love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete

I know I sound like a cheeseball, but I really do appreciate you guys being here and reading my blog. It's nice to know that I'm not just talking to myself, haha. Your comments are just an added bonus. Please know that your comments are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.